Saturday, November 22, 2008

Harmony...what a beautiful sound...

I went on a field trip last Friday with my ll year old daughter who has joined the band to play the Saxophone. I didn't really know what to expect. We were going to another middle school to sit in on their band practice. We walked in and the eighth grade was practicing for their Christmas Concert. Amazing! It sounded like we were listening to the Phil Harmonic. Seriously! The were playing We Wish You A Merry Christmas and I saw my child's eyes get big as saucers at how great it sounded. She turned and looked at me and said "Wwwwooooowww" under her breath...
Now granted they had every instrument you could think of from winds to percussions because it was a much bigger school and our little school in the country was not near as large but still they had it all together and it sounded sweet. Then came the 7th grade, not as good but still sounded great as they played the Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Then came the 6th grade, my daughter's grade, and then the immaturity of first year players began to show through tho I have to say they still did pretty well. They got to sit in and play with the 6th and 7th grade band for their practice so they were nervous but thrilled. Then little did I know after that we got to go over to the high school where Winthrop University's traveling wind symphony was putting on a concert for the students of band. Okay, it was like the perfect day for me in so many ways. I got to be with my daughter and watch her blossom with a love of music even deeper than she had before and from a mother who loves music more than life, it was the best thing ever to witness. But I also got to listen to "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Flight of the Bumble Bee" and a multitude of other great arrangements that day. And as I sat in that music hall in the dark and listened to all the different instruments come together and make such beautiful music, I could only think one thing...harmony! Okay, yes, I am one of those weird people who sees or hears the gospel in everything, but I couldn't help it. It was staring me right in the face and ringing in my ears. I began to think of how all those different instruments complimented each other. One of the young ladies who played the flute had a solo at one point and oh man was it ever beautiful, but then another flute came in to accompany her, then another and then a saxophone, then a trumpet, then a percussion, and so on and so on until the sound was out of this world! That same girl could play the flute and then she went over and played the baritone. And others in the group, very few, but others could switch up and play another instrument. The percussionists were running back and forth in the back of the stage playing many things at once. Then there were those who played only one thing but played it well and with excellence. Also they were all dressed in harmony as well in their black and white tux and dresses. Okay, so this is what I gathered and it is simple. The Kingdom of God is like a great big musical production. We are all an instrument in this Kingdom. Some of us play one thing well and some of us play many things well. Some of us have solos and some of us would rather play along with the others but regardless of what we are or what we choose we all need each other for the musical to sound complete, to sound its best, to have the greatest effect. For example, when she began to play that flute alone, I was just about beside myself but when the others began to play and everyone joined in, well, let's just say I was undone. It was harmony! We all have to play for their to be harmony, and just like there were no big I's and little You's in that symphony, there are none in God's symphony. We need each other. Sure we will sound great by our self, but how much greater we will sound with each other? I need you. You need me. We need each other if we are going to create and atmosphere for people to be affected and turn to God. So, no matter if you are good at one thing or many. No matter if you are the big bass drum or the small piccolo, you are important and you are needed for this thing to be complete, for perfect harmony. We are all instruments of God and we are all wonderful in His sight and we are all needed. Begin to use your instrument well. Let's all dress up and play beautiful music in sweet harmony together for God and make this world a place someone will want to know the great I AM! Let's make it a place that they want to come and play with us too. We need their instrument and they need to know that. Well, that is what I gathered from one of the best days I ever had. I just love and adore symphonies. There is just something about the organization of it all, the sound of all the different instruments, and the gracefulness and elegance of the whole thing. And we must not forget the conductor. She stood up there directing and moving her hands and baton in time with the music. They kept their eyes on her as much as their music and without her they would not have been even close to staying in rhythm or harmony. And so it is with God's big orchestra. We must keep our eyes on Him and His instruction to keep us in the right rhythm. Without Him it would be just chaotic noise, with Him it is beautiful harmonious music...

3 comments:

Tea with Tiffany said...

tagged you.

I'll read this later.

Sit A Spell said...

Yes...my 13 yr old can be self centered...sigh. I ask her in those "self" moments if she learned that from me and she always says, "no"...but the attitude remains...self. We have long chats over tea about this. I truly think age is a factor...maybe even temperment is a factor. She's my "dreamer" kid...kinda has her head in the clouds and not aware of her surroundings.

OK...new blogger question: what's this tagged you thing up there?!? : )

Tea with Tiffany said...

Oh, yes. I see it and I totally relate to seeing God's truths in everyday life. That makes my life worth living. I'm not sure which instrument I am, but I am thrilled to be a part of His harmony. And I am thankful to know you are alongside me making music to HIM...

Sing it, sister! He's loving the sounds..

He's the greatest composer.

Have a wonderful week! I'll be popping in when I can.

I'LL LEAVE THE LIGHT ON FOR YOU...

Hey there!! Grab a cup of tea with me and let's talk about it... God is way too big to keep Him to ourselves and life is way too hard to hold it all in so pull up a seat, or sit on the floor, or just sprawl out anywhere.... I'm all ears....and so is your Daddy God....come on over and kick your shoes off...I'll leave the light on for you and have a hot cup of tea waiting...Nicole...

About Me

My photo
South Carolina, United States
Jesus is everything to me!! Yep, that about sums it all up! I'd like to say my passion is praising Him till I drop but I guess that is not only my passion, it is my whole life!! Just to praise Him...I can't even brush my teeth without Him and don't want to! God has given me the most awesome privelege of raising three of the most challenging but amazing creatures I know...two girls, one boy. The biggest blessing of all is my absolute lover of my life on earth...the most handsome and wonderful man in the world...my husband...I may not always please my God, but I sure hope He likes my trying to. I just pray that when I meet Him face to face not only will I be able to hear "well done my good and faithful servant" but also "she did all she could". Sit down and talk awhile with me. I'm just a messed up girl on her way, but I'm God's wonderful mess. Aren't we all?!! Now, let's praise Him like no one is lookin'! He's so worth it!!

My Praise


Followers